CT Hostess Susa’n was on stage to announce the fifth Cavern Tour of 2020, on Saturday 9 at 11:00 KIT, starting from the Cavern Tour’s Hood. The Nexus is currently malfunctioning, and the neighborhood is not showing up; if the problem persists, you should ask Susa’n for an invite.
The host, Larry LeDeay, will use his Twitch channel for the presentation, so you will need to keep a browser or the app open in the background. Videos will be available for two weeks after the tour.
The tours occasionally visit hard to reach places. Mir-o-Bot (KI# 32319) is employed for special effects and long-distance travel (and to avoid stairs). If you arrive late, you can PM Susa’n (KI# 9122427) to join the in-progress tour – but do try to arrive in time!
Rarified gave a quick update about the Minkata testing shard. Throughout April he has been busy archiving all of OpenUru source code from the public repositories on BitBucket, as they are discontinuing support. He is done and has secure copies of all the data.
He was then able to go back to getting fan Ages to be able to be loaded into the Minkata Alpha shard for testing. With help from Hoikas, he picked out a number of fixes that had been waiting for a while – including the Windows 10 mouse fix – to be added to the MOULa client, and integrated them into the Minkata Prime client.
A number of enthusiastic Age testers on Alpha have ensured that the Ages are ready for wider exposure. Chiso Preniv will be a public instance shared by all explorers, like Kirel, and will hold the books for all the other Ages. Once he gets the procedure for adding a new global Age designed, he will go ahead and add the new Ages to the Minkata Prime shard.
No deadline can yet be set, at this point in time, for porting the fan Ages to MOULa itself.
The updated client has been available on Minkata Alpha for most of April. There have been a few regressions noted from the testers, most significantly troubles walking up stairs, generally due to improper collision models in Cyan’s Ages. Rarified is holding off pushing the new client (needed for the fan Ages) to MOULa until he has either found a fix or discussed it with Chogon, since new explorers may find it uncomfortable.
Rarified and the Guild of Writers are also attempting to update the client to a more recent version of PhysX, which should make the new MOULa client run much more smoothly on Windows 10. An old plan was to switch to Bullet, but since Plasma was designed with PhysX, that would require a lot more work.
- On April 19 the Club adventurers visited (or tried to) Tunnel Demo, Box Age and Odema, by Nadnerb, plus TINA Testing Area (Valdez), Prad (D’Lanor), and Aerie (Kierra).
- On April 26 they visited Toroolbah, Bimevi, Fens, and Maw, by Whilyam, Ages that could be easily mistaken for Cyan ones.
- On May 3 (and possibly 10) they will visit entries from the Rapid Age Development and Detailed Age Writing contests, small but with plenty to see.
- The following week, they will visit TikiBear’s Ages (Duck Knee Skydiving Club, Sprite Gallery, and Paper Pagodas); then, it will be time for the Geologica series (likely another two-part expedition).
After the expeditions, the participants will be able to share their observations in dedicated threads in the Guild of Writers’ forums (look for threads that start with “Fan Age expedition”). The expeditions are streamed (without comments), and the videos will be available for two weeks after.
One of the main objectives of the Touring Club, besides getting more explorers to know and appreciate the many Ages created in the last 15 years, is also to give some feedback to the authors, who are very welcome to attend the tours and talk about their works.
Setting up a Deep Island client can be a bit tricky in some situations; a quick guide is available in our Troubleshooting section.
Korov’ev mentioned a suggestion he made on the OpenUru forum, after the successful April 26 event, to hold door runs on shards on rotation, each Sunday at 14:00 KIT.
- The Cyan Store now has a Free Stuff section, which currently has a Myst Desktop Background Pack.
- Indie Megabooth has a long list of games that will be on sale from May 5 to 12, including Obduction, Zed, and over 150 other indie titles.
Plans are being worked on to make the convention happen, if not in person, at least virtually.
The Triumvirate has opened location bids for editions of the convention outside the official one. The bids will be handled a bit differently, and accepted year-round. For 2022, that means bids will be due by April 1, 2021.
Shokhootahn Rehn gave two announcements, one for the D’ni Language Classes and one for the Story Nights.
He is still putting things away after his recent move. As a result there will not be any daytime classes until further notice. They should be able to return sometime in autumn. Night time classes, however, are unaffected.
There are currently two students taking the classes, set to take lesson 6. Meanwhile, Axenna completed her final exam and passed the D’ni 101 class! Votahret ah’shem khe-bahrtahtahvteeom!
Details about the D’ni Language Classes (click to expand)
- Those who would like to attend the lessons should contact Rehn via PM or KImail (KI# 58324); be sure to include your KI number in the message!
- The Guild of Instructors’ Hood will be open and public unless a class is in session, currently on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights, starting at 20:00 or 21:00 KIT, depending on the student’s schedule.
- Last-minute changes to class times are posted on the left-hand imager in the hood.
Story Nights and Story Nights – Europe are now at the same stage. They are continuing with the story arc of the D’ni kings, and will continue for the next ten weeks.
Details about the Story Nights (click to expand)
- Story Nights are held in Tsahno’s Hood every Saturday, gathering at the fountain at around 23:00 KIT, with the story starting at about 23:30 KIT.
- For Story Nights – Europe, the gatherings are on Saturday starting at 13:30 KIT, with the story starting at about 14:00 KIT. On All Guilds Meeting days, the event will begin at 14:30 KIT or 30 minutes after the end of the meeting.
- The stories are told using voice chat, so you will need to have your speakers, headphones or KI devices on. If you would like a reminder, please send r’Tayrtahn (KI# 58324) a KImail with your KI number included in the text, so that he can add you to his buddies list.
- Last-minute changes to Story Night times are posted on the left-hand imager in the hood.
And that was it for this month.
April ended with a CavFunding of 125%, a population of 34,487 explorers, and 1840 unique visits.
Please consider donating to keep the Cavern open!
The next All Guilds Meeting is planned for Saturday, June 6, 2020 (Leebro 9, 9676 DE) at 13:00 KIT.