- Halloween Party
- Cavern Tours
- D’ni Language Classes
- R’Tayrtahn’s Story Nights
- State of Minkata
- Fan Ages Touring Club
- Cyan news
Minasunda announced the Halloween Party, on October 31 at 13:00 KIT, in Mir-o-Bot’s ‘foggy’ Ahnonay (KI# 32319, PM him “link” or “meet” to get there).
Yoda will create the right setting with a light show, Eternal Seeker will play spooky music [stream], and the Nulp Dance Group will conjure the ghosts! Creative clothing are welcome.
More events are being planned, like the Christmas Party. Stay tuned! Minasunda posts reminders of the events of the day, every day on the MOULa Event Discord server.
If you are interested in joining the Nulp Dance Group, please contact Minasunda. The current roster is: Calisia, Claidi Song, ondine, tsuno, Eternal Seeker, Mabe, Roland (MAV Hungary), vony, Willy, CatYoh. MagicYoda does the lighting effects and other props; Mirphak provides support with technical questions and the Bot for rehearsals and shows; Minasunda plans the shows and writes the choreographies.
Videos of the 13 previous shows are available at Minasunda’s Youtube channel.
CT Hostess Susa’n announced the eleventh Cavern Tour of 2020, which will be held on Saturday 10 at 11:00 KIT, starting from the Cavern Tour’s Hood and headed to Gahreesen.
The host, Larry LeDeay, will use his Twitch channel for the presentation, so you will need to keep a browser or the app open in the background. Videos will be available for two weeks after the tour.
The tours occasionally visit hard to reach places. Mir-o-Bot (KI# 32319) is employed for special effects and long-distance travel (and to avoid stairs). If you arrive late, you can PM Susa’n (KI# 9122427) to join the in-progress tour – but do try to arrive in time!
Shokhootahn Rehn (a.k.a. r’Tayrtahn) gave two announcements, one for the D’ni Language Classes and one for the Story Nights.
He is still putting things away after his move. As a result there will not be any daytime classes until further notice. They should be able to return sometime in autumn. Night time classes, however, are unaffected. Three students are currently taking the classes. Meanwhile, Kathleen completed her final exam and passed the D’ni 101 class! Votahret ah’shem khebahrtahtahvteeom!
More about the D’ni Language Classes (click to expand)
- Those who would like to attend the lessons should contact Rehn via PM or KImail (KI# 58324); be sure to include your KI number in the message!
- The Guild of Instructors’ Hood will be open and public unless a class is in session, currently on Monday, Thursday and Friday nights, starting at 20:00 or 21:00 KIT, depending on the student’s schedule.
- Last-minute changes to class times are posted on the left-hand imager in the hood.
Story Nights and Story Nights – Europe are at about the same stage, about half-way through the story of The Fall as told in the book Myst: The Book of Ti’ana.
Attempts at live-streaming the stories have been unsuccessful, for hardware/software issues. R’Tayrtahn however has been uploading them on his YouTube channel. The videos are uploaded a few days after the live event.
More about the Story Nights (click to expand)
- Story Nights are held in Tsahno’s Hood every Saturday, gathering at the fountain at around 23:00 KIT, with the story starting at about 23:30 KIT.
- For Story Nights – Europe, the gatherings are on Saturday starting at 13:30 KIT, with the story starting at about 14:00 KIT. On All Guilds Meeting days, the event will begin at 14:30 KIT or 30 minutes after the end of the AGM.
- The stories are told using voice chat, so you will need to have your speakers, headphones or KI devices on. If you would like a reminder, please send r’Tayrtahn (KI# 58324) a KImail with your KI number included in the text, so that he can add you to his buddies list.
- Last-minute changes to Story Night times are posted on the left-hand imager in the hood.
Rarified gave a quick update about the Minkata testing shard. it has been a quiet month, as they have been catching their breath after the excitement of August. They did get a small update from the Guild of Writers fixing a couple of problems with uploading pictures to imagers, and more importantly removing places where people could stub their toes!
The plan for the near future is to keep implementing content fixes and updates for MOULa, urgent changes to the client. The long term goal for this winter is to start work on migrating the MOULa client core to be based on the H’uru client. This will take a lot of work in many areas: build automation, code reorganisation, code merging, and lots of testing.
Next, since using Discord for technical support for MOULa has been awkward for many users, and the difficulty of keeping a usable knowledge base there, Rarified has been working on implementing a support portal on the OpenUru servers. It is almost ready, and has already had a few developers give it a try. When ready, he will announce it on the Cyan Discord #moula-tech-support channel.
Potentially the new portal could support other shards too; admins are invited to send Rarified a PM on Discord, to figure out what could be done.
October is the month of Hacktoberfest! Whether you are a developer or a hobbyist, you can help drive growth of open source and make positive contributions to an ever-growing community.
To earn your reward, you must register and make four valid pull requests between October 1–31. PRs can be made to any public repository on GitHub, not only the ones with issues labeled Hacktoberfest.
Korov’ev gave a quick update on the Fan Ages Expeditions he is hosting on the Deep Island shard, every Sunday at 11:00 KIT. Recently, they visited Oolbahnneea by Wodan, Torilacha by the Mystpedia.net folks, Rell-Too by Jojon and many others, Ahrkane by Ekimmai, and Pakin by Race.
For October, the plan is to start with Tweek’s Ages Cass, Fahets and Fehnir House; then the recently released Yinfara, along with Ahreeuhtahv and Spiro; next, the Club will look into the Devokan Trust, starting with Ahra Pahts shell 415.
After the expeditions, the participants will be able to share their observations in dedicated threads in the Guild of Writers’ forums (listed in the index). The expeditions are streamed (without comments), and the videos will be available for two weeks after.
A gallery of fan Ages with some details is available on the Writers’ wiki. Setting up a Deep Island client can be a bit tricky in some situations; a quick guide is available in our Troubleshooting section.
- As a very welcome surprise, Cyan released a teaser for the ‘definitive’, VR version of Myst! The game is planned to be released by the end of the year, first for the Oculus Quest platform, then for PC and other VR platforms. More details on our dedicated post.
- Work on Firmament is steadily progressing. Cyan has been showcasing details of the production process on their Youtube channel. The game however is not expected to be released before 2022 at this time.
- The Myst Documentary crew has teamed up with Fangamer to manage the Kickstarter rewards. You should have received a survey to confirm some details. If you cannot find it, you can request another link through this page. Through Fangamer, it is now also possible to back the project past the Kickstarter deadline.
And that was it for this month. Please consider donating to keep the Cavern open!
September ended with the CavFunding at
101% (CavCon 4.01) and the reserve at 170%. Extra expenses were at 42%, for the new MOULa installer and its certificate. Population was at 36,887 (⇑376), with 1527 unique visits. Another solid month!
Edit: the above statistics are based on wrong data; the CavFunding was actually at 55% (CavCon 2.5) and the reserve at 123%. Extra expenses, for the new MOULa installer and its certificate, were paid for by Cyan. Population was at 36,887 (⇑376), with 1527 unique visits.
The next All Guilds Meeting is planned for Saturday, November 7 (Leevofo 15) at 13:00 KIT.