- Events in the Cavern
- Magic Ages
- H’uru macOS client
- D’ni Language Classes
- R’Tayrtahn’s Story Nights
☛ There have been some minor changes to the Mysterium policies, mainly:
- heckling and shouting out during presentations will be taken more seriously: reactions and cheering are fine, but repeatedly interrupting presenters is not;
- attempts at circumventing the refund policies via charge dispute may result in a permanent ban from future events.
☛ The creativity prompt for December is “Refuge”; the deadline is the 31st. Entries for the “Found Family” prompt for November were from Tomatoes, Calum Traveler, redwoodrroad, Talashar and Rahshahth.
☛ For December’s Cooking Sessions with Sky, on Monday 4 at 12:00 KIT in the Guild of Caterers’ Hood, Skyisblu will be making whipped shortbread, and show some easy ways to transform them into really beautiful gifts for family and friends.
Every month is something new and different, often inspired by what is in season. She also tries to answer any questions regarding the recipe she is cooking, other dishes or cuisines, and takes suggestions for future sessions. You can find past recipes and recordings at Skyisblu’s blog and YouTube channel.
☛ IwonK will host a Wonky Talk (on her Twitch channel) on Friday 15 at 15:00 KIT in the Guild of Cookies’ Hood by the heek table. This month’s topic will be Christmas games. Feel free to suggest interesting games she could talk (and draw) about. As always, there will be cookies! IwonK also made some games of her own as a year-long gamedev challenge; you can find them at her itch.io page.
☛ Minasunda outlined a few, upcoming special events:
- December 15 at 13:00 KIT: Game Music Session in the New Messengers Pub with Karel, with the theme “Music from Fortnite”; the pre-show will start at 12:45 KIT.
- December 24 at 13:00 KIT: Magic Christmas Eve;
- December 31 at 13:00 KIT: Magic New Year’s Eve. Location and details for both will be announced later, so keep an eye on the usual channels on Discord and Facebook!
- January 8 at 13:00 KIT: on the occasion of Elvis’ birthday, Eternal Seeker will play Elvis songs for two hours in the large hall in Eder Bahvahnter.
- February 10 at 12:00 KIT: the Nulp Dance Group will play on a new show, which will take place in Eder Naybree on the beach.
- February 5–10: the 14th MOULa Anniversary is coming soon, so if you have any idea for an event, it is a good time to start planning! You can contact Minasunda at any time to schedule time.
☛ Diranda, on behalf of the Guild of Authors and Artists, announced the theme of this month’s writing workshop: “Creative Prompts”. The workshop will be held on December 13 at 15:00 KIT in the New Guild of Messengers Pub. You can find more info and take part in the discussion on their website and their Discord.
☛ There will be no Town Hall in December, due to the holidays. Meanwhile, the Rei’schu Diplomacy Discord is going on its next adventure. To catch up on and read it in real time, check the
#to-naybrees-mountain-ic channel; the start is in the pinned posts. The contents of the adventure will be added to a journal or series of journals here in MOULa sometime after the conclusion.
Mister Magic is back with all his magical bots:
- MagicBot and MimiBot, who allow to perform magical movements and guide you in magical games specially created to have fun in the cave;
- the Fabulous Magic Treasure bots Game Master, Magic Treasure and Mimi Treasure, who will accompany you in the ten episodes of this adventure game with many hours of thought, puzzles and research to restore light to the City of Ae’gura;
- the Hidden Treasures, where you will play the role of a private detective, searching for Miss Smith’s stolen jewelry; and
- the Magic High School of Skydiving, introducing any explorer to Aerobatics with the help of Magic Skydiver and Mimi Skydiver, who will guide you on the invisible walls of the Ages in a progressive manner.
The skydiving bots took the most time, because the physics effects worked a little differently a few years ago. There are currently 46 missions and 5 certificates, plus some special missions performed by instructor skydivers. The new Ages added since 2020 will also be the subject of new skydiving missions.
More informations and all the commands of the bots can be found on the Mystpedia forum, which has an English and a French section. The magic bots also have their own channel on the MOULa Events Discord.
Darryl Pogue gave an update on some of the recent development work happening from the H’uru team.
Firstly, thanks to some contributions from IntelSpark on the OpenUru Discord, the PlasmaMax Age creation plugin for 3DS Max now supports 3DS Max 2023 and 2024. PlasmaMax is the 3DS Max plugin written by Cyan for the creation of all their Uru content, and is available as an alternative to Blender and Korman for Age builders. You can download the PlasmaMax plugin for all versions of 3DS Max from 7 all the way to 2024.
On the macOS front, the Metal rendering system for macOS was merged in to the H’uru client earlier this week. That means it is now possible to compile and run an Uru client on macOS, for both Intel and Apple Silicon processors!
A huge thanks goes to Maccodemonkey, who spent the past two years single-handedly implementing the Metal rendering system and trying to make it match how the game looks with DirectX on Windows.
There is still some more work that has to be done before a macOS client is ready to be tested, but getting the Metal renderer merged was one of the biggest pieces and means that people can compile a mostly-working client to use for their own local testing on their own local shard (not on MOULa).
Some of the remaining macOS work is technical (handling display resolutions, handling patching) and some of it is logistical (handling Apple Developer accounts for code signing). The client is not ready yet for a beta test. Stay tuned for future announcements!
R’Tayrtahn gave two updates, one for the D’ni Language Classes and one for the Story Nights. Currently there are are two students taking the classes, at various stages of completion.
Visitors are asked to not post pellet points into the hood imager: one of his former students and a close friend, Yutiel Yoshi, who passed away in 2018, is listed there. He has refrained from posting pellets to maintain her name at the top, as a form of memorial.
More about the D’ni Language Classes (click to expand)
- Those who would like to attend the lessons should contact Rehn via PM or KImail (KI# 80428), or on Discord (r’Tayrtahn#1317).
- The Guild of Instructors’ Hood will be open and public unless a class is in session.
- There are daytime openings Monday to Friday, at 12:00, 13:00 or 14:00 KIT, though availability is subject to change with little or no notice;
- evening openings are on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, at 20:00, 21:00 or 22:00 KIT, depending on the student’s schedule.
- Daytime availability is subject to change with little or no notice. Last-minute changes to class times will be announced via Magic Bot (KI #27527) or Mimi Bot (KI #71459); to be notified, add both as buddies, then PM them “advert”.
Story Night Europe and Original Story Night are currently telling the story from Myst IV: Revelation. Eventually they will cover all of the books and games, as well as the three human attempts at the restoration of D’ni.
R’Tayrtahn records videos of the sessions (via an avatar named “I’m a bot, do not message”), that he will eventually upload to his YouTube channel. Be careful if you PM r’Tay or the bot during the events, as messages will be visible in the videos 😉
There will be no Story Night on December 23 as R’Tayrtahn will be traveling for the holiday; but there may be one on the 30th.
More about the Story Nights (click to expand)
- Story Nights are held in Tsahno’s Hood every Saturday, gathering at the fountain at around 23:00 KIT, with the story starting at about 23:30 KIT.
- For Story Nights – Europe, the gatherings are on Saturday starting at 13:30 KIT, with the story starting at about 14:00 KIT.
- On All Guilds Meeting days, the event will begin at 14:00 KIT or 30 minutes after the meeting, whichever is later.
- The stories are told using voice chat, so you will need to have your speakers, headphones or KI devices on. If you would like a reminder, please send r’Tayrtahn (KI# 58324) a KImail with your KI number included in the text, so that he can add you to his buddies list.
☛ TikiBear and Ametist will soon submit the Age of Mirtahm for testing on the Minkata shard. Time for testing!
☛ In December, the Fan Ages Expeditions in Deep Island will explore some more Ages from 2008–09: Tunnel Demo (by Nadnerb), Wianeroy (Perlenstern), ERC Age (Jennifer P., Robert The Rebuilder, Ametist, Corvus), Torilacha (Mystpedia forum); two more, Box Age (Nadnerb) and Odema (Nadnerb, concept by Yali) will have to be skipped because of a bug.
Then they will explore the works by the late Andy Legate, including Serene. After that, it will be time for the second RAD Contest entries, all Ahra Pahts shells. The month (skipping the 31st) will conclude with a few works by Whilyam.
And that was it for this month. Please consider donating to keep the Cavern open!
The next All Guilds Meeting is planned for Saturday, January 6, 2024 (Leevosahn 4) at 13:00 KIT.