Thanks to Chogon who restarted the servers, on his day off too, to let the Meeting continue after a crash.
- Events in the Cavern
- Cavern Tours
- A new era in D’ni
- Fan Ages Touring Club
- D’ni Language Classes
- R’Tayrtahn’s Story Nights
- Mysterium news
- Moderation duties
Minasunda announced two upcoming events: the first is a Caribbean Night on Friday 13 at 13:00 KIT, with hot music and cool (virtual) drinks, in Mir-o-Bot’s Eder Gira (PM “to gira” to him, KI# 32319). Eternal Seeker will provide some music.
The second event is the D’ni Day of Dancing on September 3 at 13:00 KIT, in Mir-o-Bot’s Teledahn (PM “to teledahn” to him). Eternal Seeker will again stream some music. The first part of the event will be a show by the Nulp Dance Group, the second part will be dance for everyone.
Mir-o-Bot will use his choreographing magic to make multiple avatars dance; if you do not want to be part of the dance, PM “ignoreme” to him, but note that this will apply to all the bot’s commands; there is also no automatic un-ingnore function, you will need to ask Mirphak or Minasunda.
The Cavern Tour will be held on Saturday 14 at 11:00 KIT, starting from the Cavern Tour’s Hood; new info will be shared at this tour! The host, Larry LeDeay, will use his Twitch channel for the presentation, so you will need to keep a browser or the app open in the background. Videos will be available for two weeks after the tour. The stream will be simulcasted on Facebook and Youtube.
The tours occasionally visit hard to reach places. Mir-o-Bot (KI# 32319) is employed for special effects and long-distance travel (and to avoid stairs). If you arrive late, you can PM Susa’n (KI# 9122427) to join the in-progress tour – but do try to arrive in time!
Doobes gave an update on the status of Descent, which he is restoring and improving for MOULa. Thanks to a few more additions and fixes from Sirius to the ZLZ Age Importer, he was able to reimport Myst V’s version with more usable animations, which will save considerable time with the animations. Using the DRC phases as model, this is the current plan:
- Phase 1: preliminary conversion of the old content (e.g. Myst V’s versions of Descent, the most ‘complete’ available for easy conversion.
- Phase 2: once the content is fully converted, changes, adjustments, and additions are made to help bring things more in line with canon as well as add new features, including content from the Intangibles (in Descent’s case, the best elements from the Dirt demo, the Uru version, and the Myst V one).
- This phase is also open to suggestions for not-too-intrusive explorer content, to get the community more involved and to show the Shaft as being well-traveled and with a strong explorer presence.
- Phase 3: wiring. This is going to be tricky as Myst V’s Descent has not been wired for multiplayer before; the hope is that the whole thing can be solvable either alone or together.
- Phase 4: testing. This is when things are good enough for proper testing on the Minkata alpha shard (see next section for more info); arguably the most important phase, as most if not all the bugs and inconsistencies need to be catched before it is sent for inclusion on MOULa.
- There will likely be an open call for any and all testers who want to go through the entirety of the new Descent to see and break things if they can, so they can be fixed properly; if Cyan sends any request for changes, then those will need to be rechecked once implemented.
- Phase 5: release on MOULa opening the path to D’ni to the general public!
No deadline can be given, as this project will require all the care and regard it needs. Depending on how much lore and modeling work will be required, the path may need to be opened in stages, starting with a little more than the distance down the path as in Myst V, then gradually more and more until one can take the full path down from the surface.
Direbo will also show up, but without the bahro bubbles, just a rest age; there will also be less ‘rest areas’ (eder tomahn-tee), as those in Myst V were only added for gameplay purposes. An alternative mechanism will be worked on to save progress along the trip.
Rarified announced, in the spirit of adhering to a schedule of quarterly updates to send to MOULa and Cyan, that they just completed work on the August update, with a great deal of help from Marten, Adam and other contributors and testers. A non-exhaustive list of fixes in the works is available here. The current plan is to put together the parts to deliver to Cyan’s Staging shard, where they should be given a week of exposure before the final move to MOULa.
Some new visitors to Minkata have remarked on the improvements they have noticed, both to the client as well as specific locations. Community involvement has grown greatly in the past year, with different skills and talents coming together to produce content and fixes for the upcoming release. Testing does not guarantee every release is perfect, but ensures that all the major bugs get catched.
How to be a tester (click to expand)
To be a tester, you will need to open an account on the Minkata shard; it is highly recommended to read the Tester’s Guide to understand what is expected. To test the cutting edge additions, you can sign up for the Minkata alpha shard.
To report bugs, you can post on the OpenUru forum or the Discord server (channels
#dev); on Discord you can ask to be added to the @testers role to be notified of testing requests, which sometimes need quick response in terms of hours, not days.
Korov’ev gave a quick update on the Fan Ages Expeditions he is hosting on the Deep Island shard, every Sunday at 11:00 KIT. Recently, they finished Alabaster by Dulcamara, explored Laki’anay (and connected ages) by the New Age Project, and began working on Tentsahveet by Jhon J. Jaguar.
For August, the plan is to finish Tentsahveet. JJJ just released Edereden, the last age in his series; Korov’ev suggested to wait at least until it is released for offline play before holding an expedition there. Next, they will visit two ages by Semjay, Terahgrahm and Zahlto, to find out what souvenir shop owner Ella Darrington is up to; then either this month or the next they will begin the Path of the Lost Ages by Melvin, starting in Palamary bay.
More about the Expeditions (click to expand)
- After the expeditions, the participants will be able to share their observations in dedicated threads in the Guild of Writers’ forums (listed in the index). The expeditions are streamed (without comments), and the videos will be available for two weeks after.
- After the tour, those who still have the energy are welcome to Korov’ev’s Gahreesehn for some Wall training (send a message to #194197 for an invite).
- A gallery of fan ages with some details is available on the Writers’ wiki. Setting up a Deep Island client can be a bit tricky in some situations; a quick guide is available in our Troubleshooting section.
Shokhootahn Jo gave two announcements on behalf of shokhootahn Rehn, one for the D’ni Language Classes and one for the Story Nights. There have been a number of graduations of late; shokhootahn Rehn would like to personally acknowledge the graduates at the September All Guilds Meeting.
More about the D’ni Language Classes (click to expand)
- Those who would like to attend the lessons should contact Rehn via PM or KImail (KI# 58324); be sure to include your KI number in the message!
- The Guild of Instructors’ Hood will be open and public unless a class is in session, currently on Monday–Friday starting at 12:00, 13:00 or 14:00 KIT, depending on the student’s schedule.
- Last-minute changes to class times are posted on the left-hand imager in the hood.
Story Night will soon begin the stories of the first Restoration. These will last for several weeks, followed by Myst V, then the second Restoration, the diaspora and the reopening.
More about the Story Nights (click to expand)
- Story Nights are held in Tsahno’s Hood every Saturday, gathering at the fountain at around 23:00 KIT, with the story starting at about 23:30 KIT.
- For Story Nights – Europe, the gatherings are on Saturday starting at 13:30 KIT, with the story starting at about 14:00 KIT. On All Guilds Meeting days, the event will begin at 14:00 KIT or 30 minutes after the end of the AGM, whichever is later.
- The stories are told using voice chat, so you will need to have your speakers, headphones or KI devices on. If you would like a reminder, please send r’Tayrtahn (KI# 58324) a KImail with your KI number included in the text, so that he can add you to his buddies list.
- Last-minute changes to Story Night times are posted on the left-hand imager in the hood.
- Recording of the Stories are available on r’Tayrtahn’s YouTube channel.
Korov’ev reported some quick news about the convention:
- the location for next year is Denver, precise dates are still to be decided;
- some t-shirts are still available until August 15 on the convention store;
- those who registered should receive a survey in the next few days, which will be useful to plan the next convention;
- more volunteers are always welcome by the Committee, if there’s something you’d like to help with, please contact them.
Korov’ev closed the meeting by announcing he is stepping down from moderating the AGM. He has been moderator for 5.5 years, reputedly longer than his predecessors; he feels the time has come to pass the torch, and let someone else take the responsability. The next moderator has not been definitely picked yet, so if you feel up to it, this is your chance!
And that was it for this month. Please consider donating to keep the Cavern open!
July ended with the CavFunding at 197% (CavCon 4.10) and the reserve at 377%, with no extra expenses. Population was at 41,162 (⇑260), with 1334 unique visits. Another great month, with a big donation along the normal ones, and fan devs working hard!
The next All Guilds Meeting is planned for Saturday, September 4 (Leetahr 22) at 13:00 KIT.