(This was originally a pinned thread on the MOUL forum)
There is (or was) a wealth of informations on how to run Myst Online: Uru Live on macOS and Linux on the forum, but it is a bit scattered, so I thought to consolidate it in a single tutorial. I probably missed something, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know so I can update this post.
You will notice I deliberately omitted Crossover: I think macOS explorers should not be forced to pay an extra for a commercial third-party Wine layer, when there are free alternatives. Rather, donate to the game itself 😉
TL;DR version: In my opinion, the best option on macOS before 10.15 ‘Catalina’ is the Wineskin wrapper; it already has all it needs, except ~1.2 GB of data files that will be downloaded once you launch them. To install other shards, see my other tutorial.
If you get a “Uru Live.app is damaged and can’t be opened” error, you will need to launch the Terminal, type “
xattr -c ” (with a space at the end), drag the Uru Live.app file into the Terminal window, then press
Enter. You will lose the fancy icon though, so remember to copy it somewhere to later restore it 😀
With the ‘OpenUru#159’ update the Cider wrapper (including the MacPorts one) is unable to update PhysX, so it will not work.
With Wineskin, please avoid using the audiochat, your voice will come out annoyingly distorted on other people’s clients.
About macOS 10.15 ‘Catalina’: Starting from this version of macOS, support for 32 bit applications has been completely removed. This means that almost all the solutions listed here will stop working. Codeweavers has found a solution, implemented in Crossover 19, and promised to release the code so that WineHQ and related solutions can benefit from it.
BobLishman was handling the troubleshooting with Crossover in this thread, before the forum closure. In the meantime, if you do not want to buy Crossover, the only viable solution is to not update to Catalina, until Codeweavers’ solution is implemented by the other projects.
About macOS 10.13 ‘High Sierra’: in some cases, this update broke wrappers (see post 1, post 2). In short, Cider can have troubles updating UruLauncher.exe. Wineskin requires to disable Auto Detect GPU Info for Direct3D (see Wineskin); occasionally Wineskin crashed before this option could be set.
- If you cannot reach the lower portion of the screen while in fullscreen, first switch to windowed mode (
⌘↵), then move the resolution slider (F4) to the right, close the settings then switch to full screen again.
- If you start the game in windowed mode an its top half is beyond the screen, click on Apple Menu > System Preferences > Displays; under Resolution check that Scaled is selected, then select a resolution at random. This will force the window back in, so you can drag it. Change the resolution setting back to the previous settings.
You will need Wine (the software, not the beverage); WineHQ now has an official package for macOS. You will need to install the Winetricks packets d3dx10 and vcrun6 (
./winetricks d3dx10 vcrun6), and install the PhysX legacy component (
wine msiexec /i PhysX...).
Once you have done that, you should be able to launch the MOULa installer as if it were a Mac application. The Program folder (where Uru Live will be installed) is in the c_drive folder inside the prefix (by default in in the invisible folder .wine inside your Home folder; use the shortcut
⌘⇧G, then type “.wine” and click Go).
Shards will need vcrun2015 or vcrun2013 instead of vcrun6, plus crypt32. See my other tutorial for the specific requirements. Audio can be broken (see Wineskin).
For MOULa specifically, a simpler procedure is to install MacPorts, open the Terminal as admin and type the command
sudo port install mystonline-cider (for the Cider version, see below) or
sudo port install mystonline-wine (for the standard Wine version).
Note that macOS 10.14 ‘Mojave’ no longer supports building 32-bit code, so the MacPorts option only works for older versions.
The Cider version uses a modified wrapper with the data files moved in
/opt/local/share/mystonline/data/, shared with the Wine version.
The ‘OpenUru#159’ update switched to a slightly newer version of PhysX, which the Cider wrapper is unable to update, so it will not work.
There is a bug in full screen mode that prevents one to reach the icons in the lower part of the screen; a possible solution is to switch to windowed mode (
⌘↵), change the resolution (
F4) by moving the slider to the right (be sure not to set it larger than the native resolution of the screen!), close the settings then switch to full screen again.
Building from scratch (click to expand)
- You will need the GameTap Cider wrapper and the new version of UruLauncher.exe (both available from here);
- Once you copied it somewhere, right-click (or ctrl-click) on the Cider wrapper and substitute the UruLauncher.exe executable in Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/ with the new one;
- When you launch the wrapper, it will start updating files, about 1.2 GB of stuff. Once it is done, you will be ready!
- Optional: to update the server status update, which otherwise will not show anything, again inside the Cider wrapper you will have to look for these files:
- Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider/URU Live Login.app/Contents/Info.plist
- Contents/Resources/Myst Online.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Uru Live/Cider/URU Live Updater.app/Contents/Info.plist
and in both substitute: “http://support.mystonline.com/serverstatus/urulivelive.php”
(This could reset if you delete the TOC.txt file).
Basically only the Minkata shard can be installed with this method.
You can get a premade wrapper from my archive, from AllThingsUru or from PaulTheTall (as a CrossOver CrossTie). These wrappers already have the needed libraries installed, so if you get one of them, start from point 6 but click on Install Software, then Choose Setup Executable, pointing to the MOULa installer location. If you use mine, then you can just launch it, you will not need any installer.
Please avoid using the audiochat, your voice will come out annoyingly distorted on other people’s clients.
For an illustrated version of this method, see BobLishman’s tutorial.
Building from scratch (click to expand)
- You are going to need the PhysX Legacy component and of course the MOULa installer;
- Download Wineskin and install it (you just copy Wineskin Winery e.g. in the Applications folder);
- From Wineskin Winery click the + on the left of “New engine(s) available!”; from the list that appear select WS9Wine 1.5.21, then “Download and Install”;
- From Wineskin Winery click Create New Blank Wrapper, name it (e.g. “Uru Live”) and let the program work; eventually you should have, in /Applications/Wineskin, a wrapper of ~300 MB (tip: backup it, you could use it for other Windows programs);
- Right-click, select Show Package Content and launch Wineskin. Under macOS 10.13 High Sierra, click Set Screen Options, then under Other Options deselect Auto Detect GPU Info for Direct3D. Click Done;
- Now click Advanced, then Configuration > Browse, select the PhysX Legacy component and click Choose ((I will refer to this operation as “pointing the wrapper to” in the following). Click Test Run and install PhysX, using the default settings;
- Ignore the logs, point the wrapper to the MOULa Installer and click Test Run again (this will take a while);
- Once the Installer is done, ignore the logs again, click Browse, select UruLauncher.exe and click Choose. Check that the wrapper is using “/Program Files/Uru Live/UruLauncher.exe” (you can also just type that line in the Windows EXE field) and close Wineskin. You can now use the wrapper as a standard application.
- The first time you will launch it, it will take some time, as the Launcher will download about 1.2 GB of data.
- Optional cosmetic tips: from the Advanced panel (see point 5), type e.g. “Uru Live” in the Menubar Name field and “1.918” in Version (as a reminder of the current version); from Set Screen Option uncheck Decorate windows (as sometimes this option hides alert boxes). Drag the Extra Gamma Correction cursor to the right you you want to brighten up the environments.
To install a shard, you will have to duplicate the wrapper and follow the shard’s instructions; typically, you will need to rename the Uru Live folder to the name used by the shard, point the wrapper to the installer, let it work and point the wrapper again to UruLauncher.exe.
Any shard can be installed with this method. Also, if you have an unsupported graphic card, it might be that with the Cider wrapper you will not see the avatar, while with the Wineskin one you could.
On the other hand, audio can be broken, even badly, and trying to use the audiochat produces horrible noises. Also, Wineskin currently does not support Wine 3.x.
Note that the original Wineskin is essentially abandoned and likely will not work on macOS >10.13. There is an unofficial fork that works for macOS 10.9–10.14.
PlayOnMac (soo-to-be-known-as Phoenicis) is a free software that can help you install and use numerous games and software designed to work on Windows. It is somewhat like Wineskin, but it guides you throughout the installation process. Works for MOULa and for shards too. As a sidenote, it is becoming my favorite method, replacing Wineskin; however, some have found it more sluggish than Wineskin.
I prepared a few scripts that should automate the installation process; they should work, but consider them beta.
If you have no audio, in some cases this fixes the problem: under Configure > General > Wine version, click the + button. From the left list, select the 1.5.21 engine and let it install. Then select it in the Wine version list.
A simple option is using Lutris.
If you still prefer to try to do things manually:
You will need Wine (preferably from WineHQ, as the repositories in many distros are usually outdated), then (with some caveats) you will be able to install Uru Live and shards like in Windows. Wine ≥3.0 seems to work quite well with all shards.
Shards will need vcrun2015 or vcrun2013 instead of vcrun6, plus crypt32. See my other tutorial for the specific requirements.
Also, on the first run the resolution change might hide most of the screen; you can reset the resolution usually by pressing F8 (the one with the empty screen), then setting it in-game.
- “MO:ULagain specs/Mac-friendly?”, post by Shoom’lah
- “MO:ULagain specs/Mac-friendly?”, post by rainbow
- “Installing Gehn Shard on OSX”, post by Deledrius
- “Common Problems and How To Solve Them”, post by Mac_Fife